Four year old left alone in Tampines flat falls 4 storeys


A four-year-old girl who was left at home by herself fell four storeys from a flat in Tampines last week and was taken to hospital.

The incident happened last Friday night (April 6) at Block 836 Tampines Street 82.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force told The Straits Times that it responded to the accident at 9.15pm and took a four-year-old child to Changi General Hospital.

The hospital was alerted to be on standby.

ST understands that she was later transferred to the KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital.

Facebook user Bata Ni Susan shared photos of the girl, whom she identified as Sachi Santelices, and said in her post that the child “miraculously survived the… fall with no head trauma, although her spine, lungs and liver were impacted”.

Related: Singapore mum whose 15-month-old son was scalded by hot oil: All it takes is one careless mistake

The girl’s mother, Ms Jenica Santelices, told The Straits Times on Apri 11 that her mother and daughter arrived in Singapore from the Philippines on April 1 for a vacation.

“The accident happened on April 6,” said Ms Santelices. “My mother went to the market to buy food and left Sachi alone. The gate was closed and also the window.”

Ms Santelices, 24, said her mother returned home after 20 minutes and saw police officers at the foot of the block.

“She went to our HDB flat and looked for Sachi but she’s not in the apartment and the window was open,” said Ms Santelices. “My mother went down nervously and checked what’s happening and saw Sachi on the ground, together with the police and lots of people.”

Ms Santelices, who has been working in a restaurant here as a customer service officer for nearly five months, said her daughter “miraculously did not hurt her head”.

However, she fractured her spine and shoulder and suffered internal bleeding in both her lungs and in her liver.

“As of today, she’s fine, the internal bleeding stopped and we’re just waiting for the MRI this Friday to know if she needs an operation,” said Ms Santelices. “The only problem is we are in need of financial (help) to support her medical expenses.”

Related: 5-day-old baby injured in Bukit Batok fire after neighbour’s overcharged e-bike explodes

She said her husband boarded a plane to Singapore once he found out.

“It’s an accident. No one wants this to happen, not even my mother,” she said.

A fund-raising page has been set up on to cover the girl’s medical expenses.

So far, it has raised more than the $20,000 goal.

The family posted an update on Thursday April 12:

“We are overwhelmed with all the supports we have received all over the world and no words can express how thankful we are that God sent his army of angels to help us with what we are going through.

“As of the moment, Sachi is already safe and out from ICU.  She was already transferred from dependency to recovery ward.

“However, she is still under close monitoring as she is scheduled for a Cervical MRI this Friday, April 13.  Only then we will know if she will have to undergo operation or not.

“With the power of prayers from all of you, Sachi’s internal bleeding has already stopped but still under observation.  The liver and lungs showed stability as of now but we do not want to feel complacent as organ trauma from a fall could have a different behavior later on – so please continue to include Sachi in your prayers.

“Her arm cast has already been removed but still wearing arm sling.  Still, she is bed ridden and wearing neck braces due to spinal fractures but she is already safe from danger.”

A version of this article first appeared in The Straits Times. 

Photos: and Bata Ni Susan’s Facebook page

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *